Sunday 7 April 2013

Chapter Four: Does it feel creepy when you discover someone knows you more than yourself?


I found a cozy corner with a bulky sofa. I made myself comfortable and placed my cup on the wooden coffee table in the front and started flipping the pages of the book: ‘Pride and prejudice’, then ‘Emma’, then ‘Wuthering heights’. I couldn’t decide on one story. My concentration couldn’t centre itself on one title. Maybe I had less time to spare here and I didn’t want to engross myself so much that I lost the track of time and got too late for home. My hands kept stroking the crème pages. They kept flipping from right to left and then back fumbling under my fingers. It was so uneasily silent that the sound of the flipping leaflets was more than audible to my ears. I decided to look for some other book and moved my limbs to rise.

Suddenly a book slammed on the table in front of me. I looked up to see who was there, and my eyes met the set of beautiful deep gray eyes. I could never get used to this beautiful heavenly face that stood a few paces away from me. He smiled divinely and covered a couple of steps between us.

“Classics are not your type. You would love to read this book instead.” His gentle, melodious voice spoke to me.
I was too stunned to react. I kept staring at his beautiful face for a while, till I jerked myself back to the reality and closed my eyes to at least cut the connection I helplessly felt that drew me magnetically towards him. I took a deep breath to compose myself. He was the same man! I held myself from panicking or at least fainting, but that was creepy. What was he doing here? Was he following me? And what he meant by my choices?

“I’m totally surprised at your knowledge on my preferences. But sorry to disappoint you, I love classics.” I spoke bravely, keeping my eyes away from his face.
I knew if I looked at his face directly, I would end up stammering nervously. I didn’t know why but he made me nervous. His presence gave out a strange feeling in me, my body strangely responded to each of his gestures as if he controlled my mind. My heart started racing like a wild horse and I noisily breathed that embarrassed me more. I thought he must be amused at my childishness.

“Mm, I see. But I’m confident you would love this book. Classics bore you. Self improvement manuals bore you more.” He said in certain but a bemused tone.
“How come you are so confident about it?” I said a little irritated.
“Just read the title first and then you are free to debate.” I could hear the tone of confidence in his soft, whispering voice.
I sighed and looked down at the table, where the other book was kept. It was a medium sized, thick book, antique looking with a brown colored cover. Its title was written in bold golden ornamented alphabets, and it read:
            ‘THE STRANGE SUPERNATURAL LOVE STORIES.’
I opened my mouth in astonishment. I had read many books similar to this, when I was young. Such stories always fascinated me to the core. Nature’s such strange and unfolded mysteries when fell for the common species, what consequences they bore and how did the two worlds meet, rose my curiosity whenever I got my eyes on it. I somehow managed to hide my interest in the book. This guy could not be so accurate in this! Even Alec could have never guessed my preferences so perfectly.

“Where did you find this? It looks creepy. I don’t want to end up having nightmares when I sleep.” I tried to conceal my interest. Good attempt. That was smart enough. I should certainly not give him any clue about me. He stepped closer and covered the remaining distance between us and whispered.
“I can easily take care of that.” He smiled crookedly. The deep dents on his cheek grew prominent, taking my breath away. Oh I wished so much to touch those deep dimples on his smooth glowing skin. His face was just a few inches away from mine and I could see his flawless features much precisely.  

1 comment: